The Systain Research Center
Systain’s commitment to delivering the highest level of service and best value within the network maintenance sector is based on in-depth industry research.
Research Driven, Customer-Centric
Acting as a disruptive force within the OEM and TMP vendor ecosystem, Systain works with industry analysts and our suppliers to identify and expose maintenance and upgrade policies which create wasteful spending and are counter to the interests of enterprises. During our interactions with customers and in sourcing tens of thousands of products monthly, we have an opportunity to ask penetrating questions and test the validity of market drivers. Many of the insights we gain result in strategies to deliver greater value to our customers and empower them to drive out waste from their technology budgets.
Here are three examples of the thinking behind our approach to serving your interests:
The 5 Year Upgrade Myth
- A majority of enterprises follow the equipment lifetime guidelines of Cisco and other OEMs and upgrade network components every 3-to-5 years
- Research by industry analysts finds that the lifecycle of network hardware averages 7 to 10 years, and OEM vendors provide measured MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure Times) that range from 18 to 33-years depending on the device
- Supporting this mindset is a broad lack of awareness of the availability of Third-Party Maintenance (TMP) programs
- An additional motivator identified by Gartner is the FUD factor (Fear, Doubt, Uncertainty), fueled by the mistaken belief that the use of non-OEM, secondary market and TMP-supplied equipment will void the OEM warranty
- The same unfounded belief persists that contracting with TPM providers will void the warranty on OEM equipment
“As a leading vendor of new and pre-owned certified hardware with supplier relationships and customers in over 600 markets, we have a unique perspective on the international network
OSI Global IT President
Systain research finds that OEM upgrade policies
often have the following negative results:
- Unnecessarily premature upgrades encourage a continuous Capex spend
- Relying solely on OEM maintenance is costlier than TMP-offered support
- Continually upgrading creates churn and resultant disruption
- Upgrading frequently increases risk of downtime and adds to network complexity
The Cisco IOS Software Updates Myth
- Despite the high cost of SMARTnet many enterprises have coverage for the 40% – 60% of their network
which doesn’t need it
- Many IT managers avoid implement the IOS upgrades because of risk – “don’t fix something that isn’t broken”
- Following Cisco’s End of Software Release date, most enterprises continue to pay for the update contract and software support contract even though it’s an unnecessary expenditure
The Often-Overlooked Upside of TPM Programs
- Network procurement and maintenance can be based on actual business requirements
- TPM can offer greater choice and flexibility by supporting OEM and non-OEM interoperability
- Delaying Capex spend by avoiding upgrades can create enormous accounting savings
- Recovered “wasted” Opex dollars in OEM maintenance contracts can be re-channeled in Capex budget
- Risks of incompatibility and complications can be mitigated due to less frequent changes
Systain | An OSI Global IT Service
Systain is OSI Global IT’s solution to our customers’ needs. We have created a service built on the feedback and frustrations we have heard from you, our clients, throughout the years. OEMs’ force their customers to upgrade on unrealistic timelines and maintenance programs have too many restrictions and can be very cumbersome just to get support.
Systain offers reliable and affordable hardware replacement and technical support solutions, at a fraction of the cost of OEMs’ maintenance contracts. Systain offers customizable 24x7x365 SLAs with next business day and 4-hour delivery to meet your IT maintenance needs.
Systain was also built and branded as a separate service product in order to be utilized across other IT vendors and Managed Services Providers (MSP’s) to offer this strategy to their customers.
The Science of Support.™
For more information, call 1-866-602-4674 or visit www.systain.io